Friday, March 21, 2014

Why is Dirt so Expensive and Other Quick Takes about Stuff.

1.

I have a bunch of grow boxes. I got them three years when we lived in Florida and used them to grow a few vegetables on the sidewalk outside our tiny little house.


I'm trying to decide if I want to invest the money to buy the dirt (potting mix) to put in them.  Especially since we will most likely NOT be living in this house next spring, which means we will have moved, which means I'm not moving a bunch of dirt, which means I'll only be able to use the dirt for one season.  And, while they do produce well, it's not like I don't still have to buy vegetables. I do.  They don't produce enough to 100% keep our family supplied with organic vegetables and sometimes I wonder if they even produce enough to make the dirt worth it. 

On the other hand, Heidi and Greta are studying Botany this year for science, which means I *HAVE* to use them or they might just take away my homeschooling license. 

So, I'm probably buying dirt and seeds (and a really, really, really long hose, to reach the one corner of the yard that actually gets some sun) this weekend. 

2.

March 21st is World Down Syndrome Day, and in honor of my first cousin once removed who was just born with down syndrome two weeks ago, I'm sharing this video.  For those of you not in the know of cousin-speak, my first cousin once removed is my cousin's child.  The once-removed means that we are in a different generation.  However, little Gabriel (along with his sister and brothers and his first cousins) is my children's second cousin, because they share a set of great grandparents.  You are welcome for that little genealogy lesson. 



3.

In that same vein, I'm sharing this post from my friend, Jacqueline, who we were lucky enough to know while Ben was in law school.   This really is an excellent post and I think you should all read it.

4.

So a little over a month after I posted how I'm a fan of early potty-training, we finally have reached some sort of success with 18-month old Elsa.  She will reliably sit on the potty and produce on a regular basis, both at home and when out in public and she "tells" me when she has to go.   She's still not out of diapers yet, but I figure taking her to the potty isn't any more work than changing diapers, and now I have way less cloth diapers to wash.  Note, it did take a month to get to this point.

5.

Speaking of potty stuff....I really loved this post from Sole Searching Mama.  Can you spare a square. Revelations that Result When the Toilet Paper Runs Out.  Probably because I'm always running out of toilet paper.  Actually, she has some really good insights.

6. 

I also really loved this post from Molly about the holidays and  that Huffington Post piece.

7.

I amostly liked this article about modesty.  I'm trying to decide if I want to get my thoughts together to actually write a post, but I'm not a huge fan of the whole "modesty movement." Not that I think people should be dressing provocatively but not dressing provocatively is not the same thing as meeting some arbitrary standard of "modesty."  Perhaps I shall try to get my thoughts together on it.

Go see Jen for more quick takes.

post signature

1 comment:

  1. I would love to hear a post about Modesty from you :-)!

    ReplyDelete

Please comment! I love reading your comments!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...