Wednesday, March 19, 2014

WWRW: The Sinner's Guide to Natural Family Planning


So, I'm sure a lot of you have already read about Simcha Fisher's book, The Sinner's Guide to Natural Family Planning.   But, I'm always months (or years) behind the trend so....


I've been wanting to read this book for awhile, but never got around to buying it until Simcha lowered the price on Amazon by two dollars, for one day only.  Yes, that two dollar discount was enough to motivate me to snatch this puppy up.  I won't pay $4.99, but I will pay $2.99. 

And, I'm ever so glad I did. 

While, the book is called The Sinner's Guide to Natural Family Planning, in many ways I think it should be called The Sinner's Guide to Marriage.  Yes, it does talk a lot about NFP and the unique struggles that entails, but it also have some great advice which would apply to all marriages, whether they use NFP or not. 

Honestly, I don't really struggle with NFP and I can't really relate to a lot of the complaints people have about how hard NFP is.  That particular struggle does not happen to be my struggle (don't worry, I have plenty of other struggles).

That said, I still got A LOT out of this book and greatly enjoyed reading it. The book is funny and refreshingly candid.  So many other Catholic books tend to be all flowery and poetic when it comes to sex. Not, this book. I love the way she talks about sex in a practical, no-nonsense, honest, but never vulgar way. 

Simcha has a lot of great suggestions about communication, marital intimacy and just general insights into better understanding and loving your spouse.  I think a lot of Catholic couples would get a lot out of this book, whether they struggle with NFP or not.   I know I did, and I think you will too. You should read it, even if you do have to pay $4.99, it's worth it.


post signature

5 comments:

  1. Thanks for this. I was wondering whether to read this b/c NFP is not my struggle either, at least not at the moment. I didn't want to start imagining problems that aren't there after reading about others' problems . . . . but now I'll probably read it. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmm ... intriguing. I haven't read too much by Simcha Fisher. Maybe I'll go check out her blog sometime.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This has been on my mental "to read" list, but I'm cheap too, and I *don't* have an e-reader, which means I have to wait until some generous friend is willing to lend it to me :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree that this book had a lot more to say to me about marriage than just NFP. It's a book I wish she'd written years ago!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I read this one, too, and REALLY enjoyed it. Besides having great advice on NFP and marriage, there were moments that I laughed out loud and moments that I found myself tearing up.

    ReplyDelete

Please comment! I love reading your comments!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...